When a fire occurs in your home it leaves behind damage in the form of soot and smoke deposits. It is important to ventilate the area after the fire occurs by running fans and leaving windows open. This will ensure that fresh air can replace the smoke damaged air in your home. The following tips will help you when cleaning smoke damage out of your home.
1. Always wear safety gear when dealing with smoke damage. This means safety goggles and gloves. The cleaning chemicals that you will be using can be damaging to your health if you are not prepared. Placing a cloth or a tarp on the floor will prevent anything that falls from staining and damaging it.
2. The first thing to do is remove any of the soot on your walls. You can do this by using a vacuum with an attachment for the hose. Using a brush on the hose, brush the soot off of the wall and suck it into the vacuum. Dry chemical sponges are also an option for removing smoke damage. They have chemicals that remove soot and smoke from the wall but must be washed and allowed to air dry after use.
3. Another popular chemical to use is Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) solution. This chemical is a powerful cleaner that will need to be used with a sponge to scrub your walls down. You should work pieces of your walls at a time. Clean one area completely before moving to the next. You may need to repeat this several times while being sure not to let the wall get too wet. If your walls become too wet this could allow mold to start growing.
4. After all of the smoke damage and soot is removed, wipe the walls down with white vinegar. This will remove the smoke odor from the walls of your home. After wiping them down, spray the area with a deodorizing spray to eliminate any lingering odors.
If you don’t feel like taking your time to follow the proper protocol when repairing smoke damage, it is best to call professionals. Companies like Water Damage Zone know how to properly restore smoke damaged rooms to their former glory. Not only will the room look like new but it will be free of any lingering smoke odors.
Call Water Damage Zone, Inc. today (877) 520.1923– your future bills may be a lot smaller, if you follow these simple tips. You can also visit our sister company for further information on restoration services at Best American Builders.
We specialize in the following services:
- 24/7 Emergency Response
- Water Extraction
- Water Damage
- Direct Billing to Insurance
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Water Cleanup
- Water Dry outs
- Visual Mold Inspections
- Sewage Damage Cleanup
- Sterilizing & Odor Removal
- Licensed & Bonded #963976
- Reputable Los Angeles based company
Water Damage Zone, Inc.
15115 Califa St. Ste. C
Van Nuys, CA 91411