Water Damage Sherman Oaks are your local experts for Los Angeles and Sherman Oaks mold inspection, mold remediation (mold removal) contractor and water damage restoration specialist serving Sherman Oaks and nearby areas.
Molds common to the Sherman Oaks area are microscopic organisms found virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
What is Mold?
- Mold is a type of fungus that grows from spores and is essential for the breakdown of dead plant and animal matter. Usually these spores are inactive, but they develop when the humidity exceeds 70 percent or when temperature is above 65 degrees.
- Mold can be found everywhere in our environment, both indoors and outdoors. Usually, mold is found in damp areas, such as the basement or bathroom, as well as in the outdoor environment in grass, leaf piles, hay, and mulch.
- Mold is encountered daily by everyone. It causes food to spoil, wood to rot, paper to smell musty, etc.
- That fuzzy black growth on wet window sills is mold. Paper or fabrics stored in a damp place get a musty smell that is due to the action of molds.
Active mold growth is slimy or fuzzy and is usually green, black, orange or purple. Inactive mold is dry and powdery and is usually white. In early stages, mold may look like a web and while in full bloom it looks bushy.
Even when mold is unseen, wet spots, dampness or evidence of water damage will indicate a moisture problem and mold will probably follow.
You can perform a simple test to detect if a suspected spot is moldy. Lightly touch the spot with a drop of household bleach. If the stain loses its color or disappears, it may be mold. If there is no change, it is probably not mold.
Another indicator for mold presence is odor. Mold has a musty, earthy smell that can indicate its presence even if it cannot be seen.
“Small” to “Moderate” to “Extensive” Areas of Mold
“Small” Area Mold
Up to three patches of mold, each smaller than 10 square feet, is considered a “small” area mold. However, keep in mind that small moldy areas will become larger over time if neglected, so clean up and remove even small areas of mold.
“Moderate” Area Mold
If there are more than three patches but each patch is smaller than 10 square feet, it is considered moderate area mold. It is also considered moderate area mold if there is one patch larger than 10 square feet but smaller than 32 square feet.
“Extensive” Area Mold
a mold area is considered “extensive” if a single patch of mold is larger than 32 square feet.
- See more at: http://www.waterdamageprevention.wordpress.com/
Mold spores are very tiny, light-weight, and easily-detached by airflow, vacuuming, walking on carpet, or sitting on a couch. In indoor environments mold spores grow in carpets, hardwoods, walls & any porous materials. They produce and release millions of spores, which are small enough to stay airborne, threatening to invade the human respiratory system. In large quantities, Black mold and molds can cause allergic symptoms similar to those caused by plant pollen. Mold growths can often be seen in the form of discoloration, ranging from white to orange and from green to brown or black. In order for mold to grow, it needs food sources (such as leaves, wood, paper, or dirt), a source of moisture, and a place to grow.
Do not panic. Try to not disrupt the area where the mold is. Call Water Damage Los Angeles immediately for mold removal and remediation. Our trained professionals are equipped to remove the mold from your home in a safe and cost effective way.
Specializing in the following for commercial and residential properties:
Structural Dry Out
Crawlspace Dry Out
Basement Dry Out
Tear Gas Remediation
Smoke and Fire Damage Cleanup